Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Wild foal on Outer Banks dies after choking on apple

Wild foal on Outer Banks dies after choking on apple

  • Updated
  • 0
{{featured_button_text}}

A wild foal in the northern Outer Banks died Friday evening after choking on an apple that was presumably fed to him by a visitor.

The horse, named Danny, likely had an obstructed esophagus for several days after choking on the apple, the Corolla Wild Horse Fund wrote in a Facebook post.

When Danny was treated for his injuries Friday morning, a veterinarian discovered that the apple had been lodged in his throat long enough to cause an infection. The vet also found what was most likely a rupture in his esophagus.

The CWHF presumes that Danny suffered a traumatic head injury from thrashing around while choking.

The foal received antibiotics and fluids but died of his injuries Friday evening.

It is illegal under the Currituck County wild horse ordinance to feed wild horses. While domestic horses can tolerate foods like apples and carrots, those foods can prove fatal to wild horses.

The CWHF urged visitors in a Facebook post to stop feeding, touching and interacting with the wild horses.

“All of this could have been prevented,” the fund wrote.

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Recommended for you

Welcome to the Conversation

No name-calling, personal insults or threats. No attacks based on race, gender, ethnicity, etc. No writing with your caps lock on – it's screaming. Keep on topic and under 1,500 characters. No profanity or vulgarity. Stay G- or PG-rated.

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

Breaking News

News Alerts